Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Foodie Blog: Casa Imperial Fine Chinese Cuisine

Casa Imperial Fine Chinese Cuisine
4125 Steeles Ave E
Scarborough, Ontario
Cuisine(s): Chinese

Date visited: April 2011

Mom complains that we don't take her out to dim sum. So I decided to take them to Casa Imperial. We tried to go once but the wait for dim sum was ridiculously long. But this day, we went early, a little before 10 and there was lots of parking space and tables!

Food: 5/5
If this place doesn't constitute as the best dim sum ever, I don't know what does (well, with exception of the wicked place my Aunt took me to in HK. THAT was rockin 5/5 stars). Everything came on sparking white plates, beautifully arranged and mm mm good. I think we had 7 dishes. The usual .. har gow, mini bbq pork buns, fried squid, shrimp spring rolls, deep fried tofu, chicken feet, etc.

Service: 5/5
Service here is great. They pay attention to minor details, like clearing your plates should you have scraps on it; checking if your tea pots are filled up; promptly removing empty plates. There's no loud clanging of dishes like at other smaller dim sum places. Our dishes came out exceptionally fast (it's one of those places where you have to mark it down on paper), maybe 5 minutes after we ordered it.

Atmosphere: 3.5/5
This place used to be an Italian restaurant, which explains the old Victorian style everything in the place. I don't like going up stairs to get to my seat, and I had to walk up a flight for our table. The decor was fancy but I wasn't particularly fond of it. Thing is, you could TELL everyone around you was a bit well off; this place wasn't cheap and you're not gonna find loud cheap people here so it was nice and relaxing. Didn't hit up the restroom but Mom heard rumours that it's haunted (boo!)

Price/Value: 4.25/5
There's no denying: this place is not cheap. But, the food and service certainly do not disappoint. I have to say this is the best dim sum place I've had in Canada. I may not be able to tell the difference between this place and something better, but I can definitely tell the difference between this place and our usual place. Surprisingly, the damage for 4 people was only $55 + tips. Quite reasonable, I would think. Dinner may be another story tho.

Overall dining experience: 4.25/5
I have to admit, damn good food and good service. Had a splendid time here with my family and I would like to go back. Not all the time, but maybe for special occasions. Good luck paying the bill for those who have their wedding here .. we saw $800-$1800/table wedding packages here ;)