Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Foodie Blog: Arkadia House

Arkadia House
2007 Eglinton Ave E
Scarborough, Ontario
Cuisine(s): Greek
Date visited: May 2010
http://www.arkadiahouse.com/

In the mood for Greek food somewhere in Scarborough, we wanted a nice sit down restaurant instead of fast food (although, Mr. Greek Express is decent as well). I've seen this restaurant a number times when traveling on Eglinton so we decided to try it out.

Food: 4.5/5
I ordered the lamb exohicko, which is lamb wrapped in a filo pastry. It came with vegetables and potatoes, as well as a greek salad to start. The bf ordered the chicken souvlaki dinner, which also came with vegetables and fries and a greek salad to start. My plate was huge! My plan was to finish half and take the other half home. As I neared halfway, I decided to eat a little more and a little more because it was delicious .. and by the time I hit 75% I didn't think it was worth to take it home! The vegetables were good too - I think they were just steamed, but it was crunchy and not soggy like Swiss Chalet's vegetables. The bf's plate was also good, although some of the souvlaki pieces were chewy. There was a very generous portion of meat and he was quite satisfied with it.

Service: 4/5
All of the servers in the restaurant were middle aged men dressed like waiters on a luxury cruise ship. He was courteous and friendly but I didn't get that nice open and loose vibe like you get at the Keg. Almost like it was too formal. He was prompt with our drinks and getting our order but service lagged a bit during our meal with topping off water.

Atmosphere: 4/5
That night, it poured. It didn't rain - it poured. Doing the 50m dash from the car to the restaurant will make a sprinter out of anyone and when we first set foot, I thought we were way out of place (we usually opt for casual dining places). This place looked quite formal, from the carpet to the tables, to the well dressed waiters and the clientele. I actually felt very out of place showing up in half soaked jeans and a sports jacket. However, I found the place a bit dim to my liking and a touch cold (but maybe that was because I was wet from the rain).

Price/Value: 4/5
Compared with all the Greek restaurants we've been to, we found the menus a tad pricier. Not by much tho, maybe 5-10% more? But with the food tasting quite good and the portion size being decent to a tad large, I think the price was justified (although, who ever wants to pay more for their meal?).

Overall dining experience: 4/5
I was quite pleased with the overall dining experience at Arkadia House. The menus were appealing and the atmosphere was generally nice. The waiter was courteous and the food was quite delicious. Although we wouldn't come here all the time for Greek food (because it's a little more expensive), we will definitely be back when we want a "finer" dining experience.