Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Foodie Blog: Pearl Harbourfront Chinese Restaurant

Pearl Harbourfront Chinese Restaurant
207 Queen's Quay West, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario
Cuisine(s): Chinese
Date visited: sometime in 2009
http://www.pearlharbourfront.ca/

We visited this restaurant last year but I still have that sour taste in my mouth from the dining experience. Visiting my sister and her bf downtown in 2009, we thought we'd try something nice.

Food: 5/5
For an expensive restaurant, I expect good food. And the food was good. Excellent, I dare say. However, the dishes we ordered bordered on the small size so we had to order a number of dishes - I think we ended up getting 6 or 7 plates for the 4 of us. I don't quite remember what we had, but somewhere along the lines of sizzling beef, guylan vegetables, stir fry chicken and veggies. They were all nicely presented and delicious to eat.

Service: 2.5/5
We went on a Saturday night, and I expected the place to be packed - instead, it was quite empty. There were maybe a handful of tables occupied near the window and a large group of maybe 20 on the side. When they seated us, we were sitting right beside the group of 20. As you can expect with a large group, they were loud and quite boisterous. Tell me WHY you would sit a small group away from your other quiet patrons beside a large loud group? There are PLENTY of tables all over the place. After about 10 minutes of sitting there listening to people try to yell across the table, we asked the waiter to be moved. He did not look pleased but honoured our request. The head waitresses posed a snobbish attitude and the waiters seemed disinterested when taking our orders, but they were all quick to our table when our hands went up.

Atmosphere: 4/5
Overlooking Lake Ontario, the restaurant does have a nice view. We visited at the dinner hour in the winter time so we didn't get any view but I can imagine it looks quite nice during the day. The restaurant is nicely decorated, with elegant tables, chairs and the like.

Price/Value: 2.5/5
As I mentioned before, the portions for each dish were quite small. Whenever I go to a Chinese restaurant with my family, 4 dishes and some rice and fill us up pretty good for a decent price. The dish portions here were on the small side, and at around $15 a plate, it adds up quite quickly. You can get quite decent Chinese food for a decent price, and this was not decently priced. Dare I say it was gouging?? I think we ended up forking over almost $35 a person for 4 people (2 averaged sized guys, 2 smaller gals). I was not completely full when I left.

Overall dining experience: 2.5/5
After we were re-seated, and the rude attitude from all of the staff, I was already itching to leave before we had even ordered. The food was delicious but the service was the clincher in this one. The cost is also a big factor as it was quite expensive for a decent sized meal. This is the first and last time I'll be returning to this restaurant.